Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Coconut Crab

The Coconut Crab is the biggest land-living arthropod, it can grow up to roughly 1m from one leg to the other and can weigh roughly 4kg. Between the ages of 40-60 is when they grow to their full size; stop growing.




It can be found on islands in the South Pacific and Indian Oceans.They like to spend most of their time on land. Coconut crabs cannot swim except as larvae. To locate its food, it uses their sense of smell. It is threatened by animals such as: pigs, rats, monitor lizards and monkeys and also by humans. People like to cook them and eat them, apparently they taste like coconuts because they eat coconuts (that's what my teacher told me anyway). 


I think it is pretty weird how coconut crabs cannot last more than 1 hour underwater! I also like it how they are blue and white or orange and white. When I first saw the Coconut Crab I did not think it was real, neither did some of my I.S.T classmates (well, one still thinks they're not real) but with some research I finally belived it exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment