Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Cuttlefish

A Cuttlefish is a small mollusc which is found throughout the ocean. They are found in large groups in both warm, tropical and cold, deep waters.

There are 120 species of cuttlefish. They come in a range of different sizes and weight. They start roughly at 15 cm long to 50cm.

The biggest cuttlefish is the Australian Giant Cuttlefish.



When I first saw the cuttlefish, it wasn't quite what I expected. I was expecting a fish that looked like any other fish. I think it is pretty unique how the cuttlefish can change its colour according to its surroundings to camoflage with the surrounding.

They can examine and evaluate their environment and match the colour, contrast and texture of it and camoflage.

Their ability to camoflage in with their environment is a great skill and I never knew that an animal had that ability. At first I wouldn't even think the Cuttlefish had that ability.

For more information you can go to http://a-z-animals.com/animals/cuttlefish/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuttlefish

No comments:

Post a Comment